Are you thinking of driving a commercial vehicle for a living? The Department of Transportation’s Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration requires that applicants and holders of Commercial Drivers Licenses be physically examined every two years. Certain ride share services such as Uber and Lyft also require that you take the DOT physical exam as well. The requirements for these vary from state to state. DOT exams in Connecticut are accessible and available at many places, including AFC Urgent Care New Britain, with no appointment necessary.
The DOT sets guidelines one must meet in order to drive commercially. Drivers should also review the Official Medical Examination Report 649-F (6045) that your Medical Examiner will fill out and transmit to the DOT after your physical.
DOT Exams in Connecticut; What You Need to Know
There will be an initial assessment and you’ll be screened for the following:
- Loss of hearing
- Digestive problems
- Psychiatric disorders
- Dizziness or fainting
- Alcohol/Drug Use
- Missing limbs
- Spinal cord injuries
- Impaired vision
- Kidney disease
- Chronic pain
- Brain injuries or neurological disorders, Epilepsy or seizures
- Heart attack or heart disease
- Respiratory (breathing) Conditions
Potential drivers are required to certify that the information they give is accurate and true, and that false or missing information may, and probably will, invalidate their Medical Certificate.
What’s On The DOT Physical Exam ?
The physical exam itself will consist of:
- A Vision Test: Your eyes will be tested, both separately and together, using a standard Snellen eye chart.
- A Hearing Test: Your ability to hear, or not hear, sounds and tones at specific distances and frequencies will be tested and evaluated.
- A Blood Pressure/Pulse Rate: Your blood pressure and pulse rate will be taken, abnormally high readings/hypertension may result in a shorter medical certification.
- A Urinalysis: Your urine sample will be tested in a lab for blood, sugar, and protein, which might indicate hidden health problems. Note that Drug & Alcohol Testing will be done by the trucking companies during the pre-employment process.
Read more on what to expect and to prepare for in a DOT physical, and know that at AFC Urgent Care New Britain we’re able to provide the exam as needed on a walk-in basis. Visit us at 135 East Main Street in new Britain 7 days a week, no appointment needed.