Many things can cause a cough, and the most common being that your body is trying to clear your airways from some type of obstruction. Simply that. However, often times it can be something else. Here is a list of possible causes you will want to keep an eye on:
- A Virus: Your cough may be a reminder of the cold and flu that you suffered over the winter months.
- Irritants in the air: Perfume, air fresheners, and smoke are all potential triggers for a cough, even if you are not allergic to them.
- Postnasal drip: This is usually the after-effect of a head cold or flu. Thick mucus runs down the back of your throat causing a cough reflex.
- Allergies or asthma: If you inhale a substance (like mold) that triggers your allergy or asthma, your body’s natural reaction is to dispel the offending substance through a cough.
- Acid reflux: This one is a lesser know cause, but just as effective. Acid from the stomach will creep up the back of the throat (especially at night when lying down), and cause the cough reflex.
Why won’t my cough go away and when should I see a doctor about my cough?
It could be that your cough is nothing to worry about, but if you find that it is still hanging around after two weeks we would suggest seeing a doctor. It is especially advised to seek medical help if you are experiencing your cough along with any of the following symptoms:
- Chest Pain
- Coughing up Blood
- Coughing up Thick/Discolored Mucus
- Lasts longer than a few weeks
A cough, alongside any one of these symptoms may be a sign of something much worse such as bronchitis or warning signs of pneumonia. It is probably also the reason that your cough won’t leave you alone. Our bodies are extremely smart, and efficient in the way of telling us when something is wrong, so listen up. It may be nothing, but you may be saving yourself from a serious medical issue.
If you are experiencing any of the above symptoms, walk-ins with a cough are always welcome at AFC Urgent Care New Britain. We are located at 135 East Mains Street any day of the week. We are open from 8am-8pm Mondays through Fridays and 8am-5pm Saturdays and Sundays.